Washing hands is one of the best ways to keep everyone healthy and to stop the spread of germs. Germs can spread from person to person or from contaminated surfaces. Follow these steps to wash your hands the right way and at the right times!
How to Wash Your Hands
- Wet your hands with clean water and apply soap.
- Lather your hands together. Make Sure to get the backs, between fingers, and under nails.
- Scrub for 20 seconds. (Length of the Happy Birthday song)
- Rinse under clean water.
- Dry with clean towel.
When to Wash Your Hands
- Before, during, and after preparing food or eating.
- Before and after caring for a sick person.
- Before and after treating a cut or wound.
- After using the toilet or changing a diaper
- After blowing your nose or coughing
- After touching an animal or their waste.
- After taking out the trash.
While washing your hands with clean, running water is the best way to get rid of germs, the use of hand sanitizer is better then nothing. Make sure it contains at least 60% alcohol and spread across all hand surfaces. Hand sanitizers should be considered second best when hand washing is possible as hand sanitizers will not get rid of all germs and may not be as effective especially when hands are visibly dirty.
Our urgent care centers are open every day of the week 8:00 am to 8:00 pm- No appointment necessary! To be seen by a provider, simply walk in, or save your spot online for visits by clicking here. We look forward to helping you Get Better. Faster!